Monday, January 11, 2010

Kickoff to Carnival Party



This Saturday we decided to have a Kickoff to Carnival party at our house.  The kickoff part to celebrate the start of the NFL playoffs and the Carnival part because it is officially Mardi Gras season.  I made my specialty - roast beef po-boys.  I also made that Mam Papaul's King Cake I mentioned here.  I absolutely love this boxed mix.  It comes with everything you need to make the cake including the dough mix, the praline filling mix, the icing mix, a baby, and purple/green/gold sprinkles.  Perfection in a box!!  I do however make one adjustment, and that is to make my own cinnamon buttercream icing.  I prefer it over the mix that comes in the box for its texture and additional flavor.

Cinnamon Buttercream Icing
Box Powdered Sugar
Stick of Softened Butter
Teaspoon Vanilla
Teaspoon and a Half Ground Cinnamon
Milk

Cream butter in a mixer on medium.  Turn to low and add powdered sugar.  Add in both cinnamon and vanilla.  Blend in milk until icing is thin enough to pour off of a spoon.  Chill.

After removing the cake from the oven, I pour on the icing immediately so that it melts over the cake.  Repeat this step a second time to ensure a nice layer of frosting.  It helps keep the cake moist.  Add sprinkles while frosting is still warm so they stick.

You will have plenty of frosting left over, and it would be perfect on pancakes or banana bread muffins.

Thanks for everyone who came and helped us start the Mardi Gras season off on the right foot - with a party!!

1 comment:

  1. I just left & already miss NOLA. I need to order a King Cake ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails