Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry



While I'm certainly not dieting during my pregnancy, I have been trying to eat light and resist the temptation to eat whatever my little heart desires.  It certainly is tempting to do so, but I know the only person who will have to confess to the Weight Watcher gods come mid-November about what my real pregnancy cravings were will be me. 

The one thing I've learned on WW over the years is that, if prepared correctly, you can make a flavorful meal that is satisfying and hearty and very very tasty too. 

For help in this area, I always turn to Gina's Skinny Taste blog.  Recently, I had the urge to order Chinese food.  I'm not sure why as that's not something we regularly do in our house, but it sounded very appetizing.  Rather than order the Madarin Chicken that comes deep fried and coated in a mystery sauce that is what heaven must taste like, I added Gina's recipe for Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry to our weekly menu.  Whew!  Cravings disaster avoided.

This dish was one of my favorites we have made in a long time!  It called for Thai Kitchen's Pineapple and Chili Dipping Sauce, but after a mad search at two groceries, we settled on Thai Kitchen's Sweet Chili Sauce.  To avoid tremendous heartbearn, I left out the optional red chili pepper.  Also, as a way to bulk up on flavor and reduce calories, I cut back on the amount of chicken we included and added one onion cut into large chunks.  We served this over jasmine rice (which I think has such a lovely flavor and aroma) and topped it with a few teaspoons of toasted and chopped cashews.  Mmmm!!  The addition of the fresh pineapple and the cilantro make the dish perfect for summer cooking!  This recipe is the cure all for your next take out craving...


Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Size: 1.25 cups • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 186.6 • Fat: 4.6 g • Carbs: 15.5 g • Fiber: 0.9 g • Protein: 20.8 g • Sugar: 8.3
Sodium: 557.2

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tbsp Thai Kitchen fish sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp oil, divided
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
2 cups cubed assorted colors bell peppers (1/2-inch cubes)
1 red chili pepper, chopped (optional or to taste)
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 cup Thai Kitchen Pineapple & Chili dipping sauce
cilantro leaves (for garnish)

Directions:

Mix chicken and fish sauce in medium bowl. Add cornstarch; toss to evenly coat. Set aside.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic and
ginger; stir fry 30 seconds. Add bell peppers, chili pepper if using and pineapple; stir fry 3 to 5 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp. Add sauce; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from skillet.

Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add chicken; stir fry 5 minutes or until cooked through. Return bell pepper mixture to skillet; stir fry until well blended. Garnish with cilantro.

Do you have a savory dish that calls for fresh pineapple?  I love the sweetness it adds!

1 comment:

  1. I love Gina's Skinny Taste! Her Aisan meatballs are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails