Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Baby Red Potato Salad Perfect for Memorial Day


Growing up in the South, I always thought that it was so funny that people thought of the summer as the perfect time to get grilling.  The thought of standing over a grill in our sweltering summer heat seems crazy!  But there is something about Memorial Day approaching that makes me gravitate to grill friendly recipes and easy summer sides.  

This weekend, we made this delicious potato salad courtesy of my trusty friend Gina from Skinny Taste.  We served this along with some grilled smoked sausage and freshly sliced watermelon.  Mmmmm!!  The potato salad was both fresh and flavorful.  It is a dish that I will definitely put in my summer of fun recipe archive.  I always like to have a delicious and healthy side dish to bring to in the event that a potluck dinner invite should find it's way into our plans.  It's nice to know that there's at least one dish that you can have that's not high in fat and calories.  One thing I've learned from trying Gina's recipes is that you don't have to sacrifice flavor, and you can be satisfied knowing you're serving your friends something they'll love that is a healthier option than they might suspect.  This potato salad is sure to please all of your friends.  I hope it finds its way into your Memorial Day menu!

Baby Red Potato Salad
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 6 • Size: 3/4 cups  Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts 
Calories: 107.2 • Fat: 3.2 g • Carbs: 17.8 g • Fiber: 2.1 g • Protein: 2.2 g 
4 cups baby red potatoes, cut in small pieces
1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced (I omitted and added extra scallions)
3 scallions, diced
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
salt and fresh pepper

Boil potatoes in salted water until soft, approx 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.

While the potatoes are boiling, combine red onion, green pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and let the flavors marinade while the potatoes cook. Once the potatoes are done and cool, mix into the bowl and add scallions and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.

6 comments:

  1. I love potatoe salad, thanks for sharing, I might just have to make this for my Memorial Day gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for the holiday and every other day for that matter in the summer! Hope you are doing well and have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what I'll be making for a cookout this weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this looks sooo delicious!

    Also, I have a giveaway going on at my blog for a $20 gift certificate to Green Apple Paperie if you're interested. They have super cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to make this for our cookout on Monday. Big fat yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love potato salad! I am definitely giving your recipe a try!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails