Thursday, August 30, 2012

Post-Isaac Homecoming

Well, hello!  I am happy to report that we indeed weathered the storm.  My sister and I had to return to work this afternoon, so we packed up the car and headed back into New Orleans.  It was kind of an eerie feeling driving along the interstate with first responders and energy trucks.  I wanted to honk and hi five them as we travelled along.  I am always so amazed by people whose work requires them to enter a disaster area as others are told to stay away.  They are my heroes!

We saw a significant amount of downed trees and downed power lines.  We also drove by parts of Slidell that were severly flooded.  It broke my heart.  Seven years ago yesterday, we learned that our home was submerged in Katrina's waters.  There is nothing as devastating as not being able to return home. 

As we pulled into city limits, I have never been so grateful in my life.  Even without power, it is a beautiful sight to see.  Our city welcoming us home. 

Because we have no power, Jane has stayed with my parents about an hour away from the city.  She will reunite with her Daddy tomorrow morning.  I know she will be so excited to see him.  It was a long four nights without his funny stories and assuring hugs.

Thank you all so very much for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  We cannot thank you enough.  Please continue to pray for all of those in need.  Isaac may have moved on, but his distruction seemed to continue. 

For the first time in seven years, I did not have an opportunity to post about Katrina's anniversary.  Maybe it is a sign that we have moved on and in the right direction.  Seven years after we thought it would be the thing to destroy New Orleans, it seems to be the thing that fueled its renewal and its rebirth.

4 comments:

  1. I love you all and you know how I feel about our beloved New Orleans. Y'all are some of the strongest, most resilient, loving people I know. I'm so blessed to have you in my life :) Hope to see your pretty face soon and kiss Jane's cheeks for the first time!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you get power back soon! And for all of those who have been affected by Isaac. Thankfully, we didn't have damage to our house on the Northshore & hopefully power will be restored soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that you are all safe and sound. I hope you are able to enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad y'all are safe and don't have much damage.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails