Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: Governor's Mansion Summer Peach Tea


This past Saturday, Mark and I spent the morning by our neighborhood pool with some friends.  Without a cloud in the sky, it was hotter than hot out there.  Do you ever feel like it just gets hotter each passing summer?  Maybe I'm just getting older and less patient with the idea of sweating while taking the dogs out in the morning, but each year it feels hotter than the one before. 

There's one thing I just crave when it's 9:00 am and ninety degrees - iced tea.  I don't know about you, but I think it is just the most refreshing thing.  There are so many varieties of this tasty beverage- unsweetened, sweetened (which my friend refers to as the house wine of the South), herbal, flavored, and let's not forget Firefly sweet tea vodka! 

I thought this recipe from Southern Living for Governor's Mansion Summer Peach Tea sounded too delicious not to share!  We have a houseful of guests coming over the 4th, and I think this will be the perfect thing to serve as they arrive.  Nothing says welcome to summer in the South like a large glass of iced tea!

Ingredients
  • 4  cups  water
  • 3  family-size tea bags
  • 2  cups  loosely packed fresh mint leaves
  • 1  (33.8-oz.) bottle peach nectar
  • 1  (6-oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • 1/2  cup  Simple Sugar Syrup
  • 1  (1-liter) bottle ginger ale, chilled
  • 1  (1-liter) bottle club soda, chilled
  • Garnish: fresh mint sprigs

Preparation

1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add tea bags and 2 cups mint leaves. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Cover and steep 10 minutes.
2. Remove and discard tea bags and mint. Pour into a 1-gal. container; add peach nectar, lemonade concentrate, and Simple Sugar Syrup. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
3. Pour chilled tea mixture into a punch bowl. Stir in ginger ale and club soda just before serving. Garnish, if desired.
This recipe make about one gallon of tea!
What's your favorite summertime beverage?  Do you have a good Firefly sweet tea vodka recipe?

14 comments:

  1. My favorite summer beverage is probabaly lemonade. Or any of the blender concoctions my mom makes. She always makes fruity concoctions with fresh fruit which are to die for. Like her peach dauquiris! Mmm... So refreshing on a scorching summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks so very refreshing! I totally know what you mean...nothing will make you crave a sweet, ice cold beverage like a hot summer day :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying HI :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yummmmmm!!! I love peach tea and this sounds heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! Peach tea sounds absolutely amazing!!!! I would love to have a big glass RIGHT NOW!!!! Thanks for this amazing recipe. I can't wait to try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed that too; the weather gets more extreme each year. More thunderstorms, hotter summer and colder winters.
    Ice Teas is ALL I drink in the summer. I love to make it myself so i can really experiment with flavors. Peach is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog! really enjoyed your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, this drink looks awesome! I may have to try making it this weekend. I agree, each summer I feel it keeps getting hotter and hotter and you would think by now I would be used to the desert heat. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That drink looks yummy
    Saved the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds tres tasty! My mouth is watering...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks very yummy! Can't wait to try it!!!
    If you have the time, I would love to get some advice from you! My fiance and I are looking for some suggestions on Rehearsal Dinner places in NOLA. We have it narrowed down to a few, but I want to make sure we are not missing anything! I should probably be emailing you for this, but let me know if you have any ideas and I will shoot you my email address so we can chat! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other night at Lafayette Square...they were serving Firefly with Crystal light...and i tasted a sip....and i could see where that tasty beverage would be VERY VERY dangerous:)..AND refreshing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I need to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How delicious that summer drink looks, and how nicely presented too. I make watermelon juice during summer; so refreshing especially on a hot summery day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds amazing!! I usually make sun tea, but I must try this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails