Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Our Journey Home: Staycation Day Two

Well, hello again!  Today was day two of my week of leisure before starting my new job.  Here's a little look into day two of our New Orleans staycation...

Running Around 
After sleeping in a bit, Mark and I went for a jog in my parent's neighborhood.  This may seem like nothing to the real runners out there, but I ran for nearly 15 minutes without stopping!!!  This is huge for me.  I had gotten to 20 minutes about six months ago, but after some hip pain, I had a setback.  This is my best run yet since starting up again!!!  And to top it all off, we ended our run with a beautiful and peaceful walk along Lake Pontchartrain.  There were sailboats in the water, casual crabbers and fisherman lined up along the waters edge, and the calming sound of the waves coming ashore.  What a great way to start the day!!

Cool Breezes Mean...
Pumpkin spice lattes!!!!!!!!  I know most of you have already celebrated the start of fall with one of these tasty treats, but today was the first day that it has been cool enough to really enjoy one.  Man, oh man...  I could drink one every day!  It was a bit of sugar and a bit of spice and a whole lot of everything nice!

Country Clubbers
After dropping by for a visit with LSU Melanie, Mark and I visited English Turn Country Club.  We were given a lovely tour of the clubhouse and the other facilities and were even treated to a very tasty lunch.  After weighing the costs and benefits, Mark and I decided to join!!!  You have never seen a bigger smile than the one Mark wore as we signed the membership form!  He is just soooooo excited.  He is of course looking forward to endless golf outings, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people and attending club events like the Sunday brunches and holiday suppers!


Broiled Redfish with Corn Maque Choux
Seeing that it is Tasty Tuesday, I couldn't leave you without sharing a recipe.  I posted this one a few month's back on Trish's blog, Pink Preppy Lilly Lover, but I used the corn maque choux as a topping for some broiled redfish tonight, and it was so yummy, I figured it wouldn't hurt to share it again!  This recipe here is prepared as a topping for sauteed shrimp, but it worked perfectly with the redfish!

2 slices bacon, chopped
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 jalapeño, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
5 small okra, stemmed and thinly sliced crosswise
4 ears corn, shucked, kernels sliced off (or one 10-oz. package frozen corn)
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (MY ADDITION) - I used fat free 1/2 and 1/2

16 medium shrimp (about 8 oz.), peeled, tails on
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups steamed white rice, for serving

1. In a 12" skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Melt 1 tbsp. butter in hot bacon fat. Add garlic, shallots, peppers, and jalapeños and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high; add okra and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in scallions and remaining butter and season with salt and pepper.  Add 1/2 cup cream and stir until incorporated.  Set aside and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, heat oven to broil and place a rack 8" from broiler element. Toss shrimp with oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Transfer shrimp in a single layer to an aluminum foil–lined baking sheet and broil, turning once using tongs, until pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Serve the maque choux and shrimp on top of a bed of rice; garnish with reserved bacon.

SERVES 4


I hope you had a wonderful Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I cant run very far either so I know how exciting it can be to make it 20 minutes without stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never had a pumpkin spice latte? I'm desperate to try one, I'm sure I'd love it! That clubhouse is beautiful, congrats on becoming members!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long live the PSL! My mama is a golf widow. My step dad is at his country club golfing whenever he possible can. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous you are there. have a mentioned that? But i am so happy for you- have I mentioned that? LOL!
    Hey- just wanted to stop by and let you know I just launched my new kids cooking site called Belleicious Kids this morning. I am beyond excited and nervous about it. I would love for you to come visit and give it some support. It would mean the world to me! Also, I have giveaways all week long on Kitchen Belleicious (including today) to celebrate Belleicious Kids! Hope you can come by! Love ya and thanks!

    XO Jessica
    www.belleiciouskids.com
    http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome home. :) and congrats on your run!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails