Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Stairway to Heaven

This spring, we started making a few subtle updates to our house.  We are now at a point where we have to decide what's next.  While I am currently obsessed with painting our kitchen cabinets and adding a backsplash, I don't think we're ready for anything quite that substantial.  

One thing I have really been considering is adding a pop of color on our staircase.  I saw this picture and fell in love with the idea.


From the hombre to the color to the cute little puppy, I LOVE this look.  

The only thing I worry about is that our staircase is made of barge board.  It was the wood used in making ships that would bring goods down the Mississippi River to New Orleans.  When the ships got here, they would take them apart and use them for construction.  It is beautiful and old, and I worry about ruining it with a coat of paint.  But, there is something irresistible about that staircase!!!

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps painting only the riser and not the steps, as in the photo, would be a good compromise to painting over beautiful old wood. Or, perhaps cover them with a colored runner if what you are looking for is color. Although I worry about a trip hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about the wood too. I wonder if there is any way to tack a design "paper" of some sort over them so you can just pop it off if you want a different look? You'll have a good time deciding colors and techniques, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so unique and irreplaceable. Keep the original and add color somewhere else. N.O. houses are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a traditionalist, I would probably want to leave it alone, especially with the history behind it. I do like the idea of a design paper option!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails