Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays - Cheeseburger Pie


I think sometimes city life tends to pull you in a million directions to the point where your circle of friends stays fairly constant and fairly small. It is one of the things about Beaufort that I find most charming. You are away from the hustle and bustle of constant fundraisers and work parties, gallery openings and restaurant launches. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of fun and often glamorous things going on in the lowcountry, but some of the best times I have had here have been sitting on the back porch at our friend's family farm talking and drinking beer over a slow cooked pig. It was just good times with good friends. And I think that's what makes Beaufort so special. Everyone here realizes that it's the people who make the place.

There is this great tradition here in Beaufort where the friends of girls who have just recently had a baby organize a meal sign up. And I don't mean just a few close friends - I mean a list of girls a page long volunteer to make the new parents' lives just a little bit easier. I just don't know if this happens everywhere. I think it's one of those small town things that Beaufort does so well. I have to say the first time I signed on for this job, I was very nervous. I wanted to make a meal that would taste as good re-heated as it would have if the family was eating right out of my kitchen. It had to be something that was homey and comforting so that they didn't feel like they were eating out each and every night. And I needed to make something that was as tasty for mom as it was filling for dad. Overwhelming, right!

After a lot of thought, I realized that I had just the right dish - cheeseburger pie. For my wedding shower, my sister had everyone bring a copy of their favorite recipe. She put them neatly in a little recipe box. It was one of my most used and cherished wedding presents. After we lost the box in the storm, Stephanie surprised me at Christmas with a newer, thicker, better version of the cookbook. I use it so often, and this is one of my favorites from the collection!

Cheeseburger Pie

1 set of two Pillsbury deep dish pie shells
1 lb of ground beef
1 onion, small dices
1 green bell pepper, small dices
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (or to taste - I like a little extra in mine)
1 bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste



  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

  2. In a skillet, brown beef, remove and drain pan with the exception of a little oil to cook in

  3. Saute onions and peppers until they are soft (5-8 minutes)

  4. Add beef and cream of mushroom soup to mixture

  5. Season with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper

  6. Mix in about a quarter of a bag of cheese and stir until blended

  7. Poke the bottom of the first pie shell with a fork to avoid bubbles when cooking

  8. Add beef mixture to pie shell

  9. Sprinkle cheese over the beef mixture

  10. Place the second pie shell over the top of the first and pinch around the edges

  11. Cut three slits diagonally across the pie shell to let steam release

  12. Cook until shell is golden brown (cover the pie with foil if the top shell is browning too much but the bottom needs longer in the oven)

Hint - If you received your post baby pie without a top layer it's likely because I let the second shell sit out too long and it wasn't firm enough for me to handle. I suggest letting it sit on the counter while you prep the pie. By the time you go to add it on, it should be soft enough to remove. Flip the foil container over and slowly pull the sides of the pie away until you are able to remove the whole pie shell.


If you decide to make this for someone, complete everything but the step required to bake the pie. You can make a card for the person congratulating their new arrival and include in the card the steps they need to take to bake the pie (preheat oven temp, length of cooking time, and foil tip).


This is such a yummy meal, and it is one that is easy to make for a large group or for delivery. I hope that all you girls living outside of Beaufort read this and think "we should start a food sign up here!" It really is such a great thing to do for your friends. And you get to have a peak at all the little ones too!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmm--I remember this pie. YUM! We do the meal thing here as well but it seems to occur for many things--births, deaths, illness, etc. I haven't made your pie but will definitely add it to my rotation! Another great meal for this is my standard lemon chicken orzo meal. I'll email you the recipe. And I definitely second your thoughts in the first paragraph. I cherish those "slow times with friends" and am definitely made crazy at times from the hustle and bustle of the city life...miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails