Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Ice Cream and Rum Sauce

Mark and I are helping to host a Hawaiian themed engagement party in just a few weeks.  How much fun! I'm picturing tiki torches and Hawaiian shirts and brightly colored flowers.  I also picture tablescapes accented with pineapples.  I love when florists use produce items in floral displays.  Have you seen this before?  I have seen it done with citrus fruits, apples, and pineapples.  I love the color and texture that they bring!  

There's something about a luau that makes me want pineapple upside down cake!  But this time of year, I tend to crave sweet treats paired with ice cream.  So, I searched the web for a tasty treat inspired by the islands that would be fabulous for a summer party.  This recipe for grilled pineapple with vanilla ice cream and rum sauce caught my eye, and I'm so glad it did.  I LOVE grilled pineapple.  It caramelizes so well!  So imagine that paired with vanilla ice cream and a rum accented caramel!  Mmmmm....

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 to 4 pound) pineapple
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 1 pint light vanilla ice cream

Directions

Cut the top and bottom off of the pineapple, peel and cut it crosswise into 8 rings, about 1/2-inch each. Use a spoon or apple corer to carve out the center core of each ring.
Spray a large grill pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium flame. Grill the pineapple, in 2 or 3 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until it is nicely brown and grill marks have appeared. (You can also grill this on an outdoor grill sprayed with cooking spray before being heated.)
While the last batch of pineapple cooks, heat the butter, sugar and rum in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat.
Place a pineapple ring on each plate, scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream into the center of the ring, and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of sauce on top.
Have you tried grilled pineapple?  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE grilled pineapple, but oh my word- this puts it over the top. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails