Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays - Greek Lemon Rice Soup


It is a grey day here in Beaufort, and when I'm feeling yucky on a grey day, there is only one thing that I really really want to eat - lemon-rice soup. It is my dad's specialty! It's funny the memories foods can trigger. I can tell you this soup brings back warm memories for sure. I remember that some nights we would have lemon rice soup with BLTs, and I would spend the whole time I was supposed to be helping with dinner sneaking little pieces of bacon. My favorite was when we had it paired with tuna salad stuffed tomatoes. Mmmmm... There was something about the warmth of the soup and the coolness of the tuna salad and the tomato that paired perfectly. And I can so clearly remember when my sister was very little, she would have hers served with ice cubes in it to cool it down. It is just one of those dishes that warms you up and makes you feel better all at the same time. Can you ask for anything better on a chilly day when you have the sniffles - I don't think so!


GREEK LEMON-RICE SOUP

3 c. chicken broth

2 to 3 oz. uncooked regular rice

2 eggs

3 tbsp. lemon juice

Dash of salt

Dash of pepper

Sprinkle of dried parsley


In 2-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat, add rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. In small bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice. Stirring constantly, add 1 cup of hot soup, a little at a time. Stir mixture into soup in pan and heat. Do not boil! Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4.


NOTE: 2 oz. rice makes thinner soup; 3 oz. rice makes thick soup. Weight instead of measurement gives the option of using medium grain rice.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this next time I am under the weather. My go to used to be Chicken Noodle, but that's not an option anymore since I can't have gluten. This soup sounds wonderful - and easy to make. Bonus. :)

    I hope you are feeling better. It's not fun feeling under the weather - especially around the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails