Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: Lemon Pie with Raspberry Coulis


I have been putting together a little dinner get together for a few of the girls from my office and their hubbies.  Because it's scheduled for Good Friday, I am planning on making a meat-free meal.  We will have basil roasted veggies with couscous and Mr. B's BBQ Shrimp, which other than a healthy dose of butter, calls for several nice squeezes of lemon juice.  I thought since that was the case, this lemon pie recipe (also from the Mr. B's cookbook) would compliment the BBQ Shrimp well.

When I tell you this is the most delicious pie recipe you have ever tasted, I am really not being dramatic.  It is AMAZING!  I love the buttery crust and the rich lemony filling.  The raspberry coulis adds a nice  tart flavor to counterbalance the filling.  What's best about this pie is that you can make it ahead of time and chill it.  It only gets better and better!

Lemon Pie
Ingredients
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I usually add the grahams to the food processor and crumble in a few easy pulses)
3/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 cups sweetened condense milk
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
whipped cream as a garnish (I prefer it made from scratch)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar (you can also add ground pecans too) and spread into and up sides of a 9 inch pie plate, pressing down.  Bake crust for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.

In a bowl whisk together condensed milk, yolks, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla.  Pour mixture into crust.  Bake in oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until set.  Serve with whipped cream.

Raspberry Coulis
2 pints strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch

In a small saucepan combine raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice and cook over a low heat 5 minutes, or until raspberries soften.  Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing down on berries with a rubber spatula.  Return strained puree to saucepan and stir in cornstarch.  Bring to a boil.  Once thickened, chill.

I think it'll be a BIG hit!!!

What's your favorite pie?  

5 comments:

  1. My favorite pie is an apple pie! (though I adore lemon as well) Your dinner sounds delicious! I absolutely loooove couscous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, oh my, oh my...that pie sounds some goooooood!....My fav is pecan pie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow can I come!;) Sounds really yummy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to give up sweets....and you're not helping! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a key lime kinda girl...but that looks most delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails