Monday, May 11, 2009

Girls Rule!


I don't at all think that boys drool, but I do indeed think that girls rule! There are few things that inspire me more than impact women's groups have on a community. Whether it is the example that the members set as professionals, activists, mothers, or friends, I am always touched and empowered by the amazing women in these groups. Every so often I am at an event where I am in a room with hundreds of women who have made a conscious choice to work for the betterment of their communities. They have chosen to add one more thing to the already full plates they carry so that the world we share can improve. Every time I get goosebumps thinking about the impact that we as women have on each other and those around us.

Saturday I volunteered at a luncheon called Lilies on The River which raises money for Hope Haven, an organization that provides services to women and children who have been the victim of sexual abuse. Our Junior Service League provides all of the "woman" power to help orchestrate the event. Working with these women to coordinate such a beautiful luncheon is such a privelege. They are the most selfless and amazing ladies I know.

It is no coincidence that the luncheon takes place the Saturday before Mothers' Day. Standing with all of these women as we tossed lilies into the river in honor of the special ladies in our lives makes me so appreciative of all of the women in mine. To my friends who I have watched parent, I am so grateful to have such amazing examples to learn from. To my mother-in-law, I am so grateful for the job you did raising such the amazing person that I have the honor of spending my life with. And to my mother, I am so grateful for all that you have done for me. I can only hope to be half of the parent that you are.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails