Monday, April 30, 2012

Jane's First Jazz Fest

Three years ago, I started this little online journal to share about my life and how New Orleans has shaped it.  One of my very first posts describe my infinite love for the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  I described how "you can hear the sound of a horn playing off in the distance. It's like they are playing just for you - welcoming you into their world of music, tradition, food, art, and history. And when you walk through the line surrounded by a sea of people as excited as you, there is nothing like it." 

For years, I have looked at parents who brought their children to Jazzfest and wondered if we would be brave enough to be among them.  In joining them, you subject yourself to scrutiny and judgement.  You hear whispers of "who brings a baby to the Jazzfest?"  

You know who brings a child to Jazzfest?  Mark and me.  Why?  Because we wanted to Baptize Jane in the wealth of music and culture that is New Orleans.  We wanted her to move to the beat of a snare drum. We wanted her to recognize the beauty in the unique blend of fragrances that are fried soft shell crabs, sunscreen, patouli oil, and jasmine.  We wanted her to feel the warm embrace of the crowd as they send their appreciation up to the stage.  To borrow a thought from New Orleans' writer, Chris Rose, Jazzfest is an education.  It is everything that is right about New Orleans.  That is why some people bring their babies to Jazzfest...

This weekend we saw Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes, Gomez, Zebra, The Beach Boys (Uncle Jesse - John Stamos - performed with them), Trombone Shorty and the Orleans Avenue, Dr. John, Janelle Monae and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.  Each performance was more incredible than the next!

Jane and me dancing at the Gentilly Stage

Jane loves kicking her feet to the music

Dancing makes Jane tired!

She even slept through her first Jazzfest Second Line Parade

The parade was colorful as always

Our first family Jazzfest

5 comments:

  1. What a fun family outing and I am sure many more to come!
    Chris and I are the same way when it comes to Elle. We take her to as many places as we can. How else will the little munchkins learn social skills! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I'm sad I'm missing JazzFest this year, but it looks like y'all (and Jane) had a wonderful time. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww how fun! Looks like Jane had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I share your thoughts on bringing kids to the Fest and love the things the kids can see and learn. Only in New Orleans! Our girls still need to meet. One day soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a Jazz Fest fan (I know, I know - the horror!) but I agree that it's just part of the culture. We bring babies to Mardi Gras so why not Jazz Fest?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails