Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul



Do you ever have those days where you just wake up feeling a little blue?  Well, I had had one of those days.  And then, this evening I talked to one of my greatest friends, Jaime.  And I started feeling better.  It's amazing what catching up with a good friend can do for your soul.  And it was funny, because Jaime was making chicken soup for her family, and I thought how perfect that was. Good chats with good friends and chicken soup have the same effect on me - they make me feel better when I'm not feeling my best.  So I thought I'd share this recipe with you just in case you need a little pick me up from time to time...

Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1  cup  chopped onion
  • 1  cup  diced carrots
  • 1  cup  sliced celery
  • 1  garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 1/4  teaspoon  dried thyme
  • 1/4  teaspoon  poultry seasoning
  • 6  cups  low-salt chicken broth
  • 4  cups  diced peeled baking potato
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 2  cups  diced leftover roasted chicken
  • 1  cup  evaporated skim milk
  • 4  ounces  (2 cups) uncooked wide egg noodles
  • Fresh thyme (optional)

Preparation

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrots, celery, and garlic clove; sauté 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour, oregano, thyme, and poultry seasoning over vegetables, and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, potato, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes or until potato is tender. Add roasted chicken, milk, and noodles, and cook 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
215 (19% from fat)
Fat:
4.6g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.8g)
Protein:
14.9g
Fiber:                       2.6g


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great recipe. I cannot wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I was just having one of those days and found this entry...how did I miss it. Taking my teary eyes in for some ice cream now. You are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails